Release notes on 4.3JP
Puppy Linux 4.3 Japanese edition is an easy-to-use way in Japanese environment arranged by the Japanese forum member based on the original English version of Puppy Linux 4.3.
Please note that there are differences with the original version besides a lot of Japanese translated applications.
Reffer to Original release notes too.
Puppy Linux 4.3 Japanese edition is provided with 3 different kernels.
- pup-4.30JP - most recent kernel 126.96.36.199 SMP
- pup-430stdJP - kernel 188.8.131.52, same as Puppy 4.2x
- pup-430retroJP - kernel 184.108.40.206, same as Puppy 4.2x retro
Differences from original version
- Japanese locale is 'ja_JP.UTF-8', whereas 'ja_JP.utf8' in the original version.
- Some reading rules of the main SFS file and additional SFS file are different from the original 4.30.
- Only the file name 'pup-430.sfs' of the main SFS file is permitted in original version.
- The customized SFS file is treated by adding the character string after '430' such as 'pup-430JP.sfs' in a Japanese version.
- When two or more main SFS files exist in PC, and which SFS file might likely to be adopted, it to be different in a Japanese version and an original version.
- In a Japanese version, addition SFS file is read from either of /mnt/home or /mnt/home/puppy when saved personal storage file 'pupsave.2fs' in the subdirectory /mnt/home/puppy. However, only the ones that exists in /mnt/home is effective with the original version.
- In a Japanese version, some applications are not displayed in the menu.
- superscan, alsamixer, and xcalc are executable only from 'gexec' or the command prompt.
- SQLight Manager from 'Tool' on the menubar of Seamonkey.
- Additional softwares only on the Japanese version
- pupsaveconfig 1.2 : GUI of personal storage file setting at the first time shutdown.
- Grub4Dos 0.4.4.v1 : A bootloader supports ntfs, with GUI configurator.
- Winfonts 3.3 : If Windows is installed, divert the Windows font and the virtual memory.
- acpid-1.0.8-5 : Shutdown with power supply button. Suspend by closing the lid such as notebooks PC.
- lha : Compression/decompression of compression format 'lzh' widespread in Japan.
- deb2tgz, rpm2tgz : Conversion of Debian/Redhat system packages.
Note: PETget on Puppy 4.3 can install '.deb' packages without conversion.
Both '.deb/.rpm' packages can be extracted by drag-drop on the Compress icon on the desktop.
- Improvement of drive recognition
The original version has a problem that some drives are not recognized at the first stage of the startup when the PC has two or more HDD and/or bootups from USB thumb drive/HDD. However, the improvement is added in the Japanese version.
Installing Puppy using Grub4Dos
Grub4Dos in the Japanese edition enables easy to install Puppy. Follow next procedure. You need not the Puppy Universal Installer.
- Boot from the Japanese edition live CD.
- Create a folder at the dop layer of any partition (can be ntfs, vfat or ext2/ext3 file systems), '/mnt/sda1/pup430' for example.
- Coppy all files in the live CD.
(If you copy them on Windows OS, the file names may all turn to upper case. You need correct the case of file names in this occasion.)
- Menu > System > Grub4Dos boot loader. Answer 'OK' for any question.
- That's all. Maybe ready for bootup Puppy from HDD. If failed, bootup from live CD and check the procedure up.
Bugs and troubles to be reported to Puppy Linux Japanese Forum.
The Japanese edition is modified from the original more than mentioned above.
So, check out the original version if you suspect original bugs.
Puppy Linux Japanese edition development team